14 East Liberty Street, Martinsville, VA 24112
Mon - Fri 7 to 5, Sat 7:30 to 1
The Lester Group was established in 1896 by G.T. Lester in Martinsville, Virginia. At the time, The Lester Group was known as the Lester Lumber Company. It originally consisted of a small sawmill and planning mill, with a small tract of timber land. Over the course of its first 100 years, the company has grown into a multi-faceted operation with the strength to survive two major fires and numerous economic highs and lows.
The retail store was organized in 1949 as Wholesale Supply Company. In 1964 the company structure reorganized with the larger retail arm as Lester Home Center. In 2005, the company updated the name to Lester Building Supply.
Today, The Lester Group, Inc. includes three building supply dealers, in addition to Lester Building Supply.
Taylor Brothers began operations in Lynchburg, VA in 1952. This store became part of the Lester Group soon after Mr. Taylor retired in 2006.
Jim Carpenter Company began operations in 1955. The facility is now located in Fredericksburg, VA. It became part of the Lester Group in 1974 when Mr. Carpenter retired.
Building Supply of Manassas opened in Manassas, VA in the fall of 2015.
Lester Forestlands manages over 18,000 acres of timberland from planting, to thinning, to harvesting while maintaining hunt club leases on all tracts.
Lester Properties & Lester Development Corporation manage and develop commercial, retail, residential, and subdivision properties.